Friday, April 26, 2013

Room Parent Work

Next week is Teacher and Staff Appreciation Day and our class will try to celebrate all week.  I had some great ideas on what to do for the door decorations.  I took a photo of each of the children and I had plans to ask each and every one of them what they like most about their teacher.  Of course, I never had a chance to talk to the kids.  Never. So, here I have all of these photos but no idea what to do with them.  Pinterest to the rescue.  Well, actually it is Google to the rescue.  But either way, I got some even better ideas that I adapted to my skills.  Here is my concept drawing.  A long time I ago I had done a craft with the kids that used coffee filters and food coloring. I had about 100 of these tie dyed filters left.  I thought they would be a beautiful and easy flower.  I was right!
 I did not have any help until I was just walking up to school and the grandmother of one of my daughter's classmates was there.  "Do you need any help?"  YES!!! I wanted to scream. But, I calmly told her what my plan was and if she could help me out that would be fantastic. So, we got to the teachers' lounge and examined our materials.  Big rolls of colored paper.  Die (or is that dye) cut machine to make flower and letters. We started cutting the flowers.  I might have to use this again to make some paper flower leis on Wednesday. After we were all done cutting we figured the layout for the door cover.  Here it is before we glued.  My helper did the grass.  She is awesome.   Apparently, she used to be a class parent and a volunteer at the school for many years.  Everyone knew who she was.  I felt a bit small, but she was teaching me well.

Here we are in the gluing process.  We tried to make sure that everything was tacked down properly.

Our final product placed on the door.  I think it looks awesome. Of course, I have nothing to compare it to.  I think the teachers will be pleasantly surprised when they arrive at school on Monday morning.  You think?

No comments:

Post a Comment